Wedding Dress Preservation
Your wedding day was a memorable day filled with treasured moments with friends and family. Your dress was a show-stopper!
Now it’s time to think about how you’re going to preserve and store your cherished wedding dress. The sooner the better is the key – either before you go on your honeymoon or upon your arrival home. Or if you have a family member or friend take care of it, that is also a good option.
Use a Professional Dry Cleaner
Professionally cleaning and safely storing your dress in the right type of Garment Bag will preserve your bridal gown and allow it to age gracefully so that you have a keepsake or an heirloom for generations to come, and cherished memories of your special day.
To clean and preserve your wedding dress take it to a reputable dry cleaner. They are equipped with the experience and the professional tools to safely care for your wedding gown ready for careful storage. Their trade secrets and expertise will assist in preventing permanent stains, dirt, perspiration, and skin oil from settling into the delicate and the embellished fabrics - which is why it's important to have your dress cleaned so soon after your wedding day.
Say NO to Plastic Bags and Non-Woven Bridal Garment Bags
We Repeat: Say NO to plastic and non-woven garment bags! If you are storing your wedding dress in a plastic or non-woven garment bag (perhaps included with your dress purchase) - or were thinking of doing so - Don't! These types of fabrics do not allow your wedding dress to breathe properly and they can cause irreparable damage to your gown and accessories, such as your veil and embellished belts, when stored for long periods of time.
These plastic type garment bags have a tendency to cause mould, fading and discolouration (yellowing), and this is accelerated if the garment is exposed to the elements like heat, humidity, sunlight and moisture in your wardrobe or being stored for the long term with no air circulation.
Discolouration can be caused by BHT (butylated hydroxyltolune) an anti-oxidant found in these plastic bags which can cause detrimental damage to your garments and wedding dress: especially lace, chiffon, satin, silk and other delicate fabrics.
Your wedding dress simply cannot breathe whilst been trapped inside this type of plastic garment bag.
You'll find that the most common types of bridal garment bags are manufactured from a plastic called PEVA which is often used in shower curtains. When used for storage purposes, these plastic storage bags do not allow for changes in humidity and are unfavourable for short and long term storage of your gown - for all reasons mentioned above.
The other main type of garment bags to avoid when it comes to storing your wedding dress (or any garments) is the non-woven fabric garment bags - similar to the green grocery bags found in supermarkets. These cheap fabrics are regularly used for bridal garment bags and come in various colours and density's - but they're still plastic and don't allow for air to comfortably circulate in and around your wedding dress.
Garments and wedding gowns need fresh air to thrive and promote their longevity.
Avoid both of these types of garment bags and non-woven fabrics! If used for long term storage for your wedding dress, they will potentially disintegrate or crumble under the harsh humidity and cause damage to delicate fabrics making it nearly impossible to remove and potentially costly to repair your dress - especially if you don't air out your gown every 12 months.
100% Cotton Garment Bags are an Absolute
INDIVIDUAL - LARGE: Ideal for Wedding Dress, Formal and Cocktail Dresses, Gowns, Embellished and Beaded Garments, Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, suede, furs, faux-furs, velvet), Long Coats, Seasonal Garments, Saris, Kaftans, All Types of Costumes, Vintage Clothing, Uniforms, Heirlooms and more.
When deciding between storage options for your wedding dress (and for travelling with your dress on your big day), you can't go past Kazzi Kovers Garment Bags.
Our Bridal Garment Bags offer great benefits:
- Material: 100% Natural Cotton
- Colour: Cream
- Breathable | Lightweight | Acid-Free | Low-Maintenance
- Protection against dirt, dust, insects (including moths), mould and moisture
- Preserves and protects your gown, unfolded.
- For travelling with your dress on your wedding day | For storage of your wedding gown after the big day
- Full-length, self-healing side zipper for easy access and storage
- A double-stitched, strong cotton loop is sewn in at the bottom for your convenience, so it's simple for you to fold the bag over when travelling to and from your wedding destination.
- Safeguards against fading and discolouration
- Machine washable in cold water
- For home, storage and travel purposes.
They are simply perfect and practical (even if we do say so ourselves!)
Invest In A Premium Wood Hanger
Your wedding dress will become a cherished piece or a family heirloom and should be properly preserved. Never store your gown on a wired or plastic hanger as it lacks support and can sometimes tarnish your dress if left in a humid or moisture-filled area with little air flow for extended periods of time.
Your dress should always be hung on a well-constructed premium wood hanger and stored in a space or wardrobe where air flow is sufficient and can circulate comfortably in and around your gown to preserve the delicate fabrics. This is also imperative for the preservation of your wedding gown.
Our beautifully crafted FSC® Certified European Beech Wood hangers are custom made, stylish and incredibly durable. Each hanger is purposed and designed to ensure your dress' shape, structure and fabric integrity is fully supported for the long term.
When your wedding dress is properly stored and protected, it stays free from discolouration, fading, broken spots of fabric and minimal creasing. It is important to safeguard your bridal gown in a 100% Cotton Garment Bag so you can enjoy it for years to come and perhaps it will become a family heirloom.
Storing Your Gown | Check List
- Have the gown professionally dry cleaned
- Check that your Kazzi Kovers 100% Cotton Garment Bag is fully-zipped
- Hang the dress in the darkest place possible to avoid light, discolouration, pesky insects, airborne particle and dust
- Your can store your veil with your dress but make sure it is wrapped in white acid-free tissue paper or a natural white cotton (preferred) shirt or material to separate the dress from the veil when storing.
- Do not use wired or plastic coat hangers as over time these materials will inevitably damage your dress.
- Kazzi Kovers tailored European German Beech Wood Bridal Hangers are the perfect companion to support your gown. Available in Natural wood-grain or Walnut with a smooth gloss finish.
- Do not store your gown in a plastic or non-woven garment bag - over time these materials have a tendency to crumble and cause detrimental damage to your gown. These materials/fabrics will also cause discolouration and fading to your gown when stored for long periods of time.
- Ensure that air flow and ventilation on either side of your wedding dress is sufficient, which is essential in protecting the gown from mould and mildew.
- Kazzi Kovers Cotton Garment Bags are easy to inspect the dress periodically and require no awkward refolding as boxed methods.
- Periodically (once every 1-2 years) take the dress out and shake it so unnatural creases do not form. Also allow the dress to breathe outside the garment cover to preserve it and then return to storage.
Now you can admire your dress for a long time to come knowing it is well protected and safeguarded from dust, insects, mould and moisture.
See Garment Bag and Hanger Packages.
SHOP NOW || Garment Bags | Individual and Combo Packs Available
INDIVIDUAL - REGULAR: Ideal for Suits, Jackets, Coats, Dresses, Cocktail / Formal Dresses, Embellished and Beaded Garments, Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, suede, fur, velvet), Seasonal Garments, Saris, Kaftans, All Types of Costumes, Vintage Clothing, Uniforms, Heirlooms and more.
Kazzi Kovers COMBO Garment Bag PACKS:
These combo packs offer great value and include Regular and or Large Garment Bag combinations. Perfect for when you need more than just one.
For example: 1 x Regular + 1 x Large Garment Bag Combo (displayed in photo).
PACKAGE OFFER | Save $2.95 - $4.95
For FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hangers and Garment Bag - see Packages (includes wood hanger + garment bag package) for your special bridal dress. Perfect for travelling with your dress on the day and for storage thereafter.
Wood Hangers are available in Natural wood grain or Walnut Colours.
Garment Bags are available in Regular and Large (long) sizes in cream colour.
You Might Like These
Travel Jewellery Boxes (with lock) for brides, bridesmaids or for that special someone.
FSC® Certified Cedar Wood Blocks | Rings
FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hanger Packs
100% Cotton Storage Bags
Remember if you ‘Love it, Cover it!®’
Maria Kazzi | Kazzi Kovers®
We pride ourselves on providing safe and natural alternatives to Protect, Organise, Store and Travel with our range of premium covers and accessories. Visit Kazzi Kovers for our full suite of products and updates.