The Truth about Garment Bags
Throughout the years you’ve made a significant investment in your wardrobe, so it makes sense that you would want to safely protect and store your favourite dresses, suits, leather or wool jackets, right?
Well, so many of us overlook the importance of protecting our garments against environmental elements, and it can cause serious irreparable damage. As well as this, people are unaware of the type of garment bag they should be using and may even be using ones that are causing the damage.
Our clothes need ongoing care and protection against pesky insects (especially moths), dirt, dust, mould, moisture and humidity. These are all priority concerns when storing your garments' for long periods, or until the next season.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN CHOOSING YOUR GARMENT BAGS
Say No to Plastic Bags and Non-Woven Fabrics
We Repeat: Say NO to plastic and non-woven bags! These are the most common types of garment bags, and they’re cheap, and usually manufactured from plastic (PEVA – commonly used in shower curtains) or non-woven fabrics, similar to the material used to make supermarket bags.
It is important that you completely avoid these types of garment bags, especially when storing garments in summer or warm climates. They can cause severe and irreversible damage such as mould (particularly to your suede and leather jackets). The plastic and non-woven bags also cause fading and discolouration (yellowing) in cotton, silk, embellished pieces, wedding gowns and other delicate fabrics, especially when stored long term.
The reason being is that your clothes need fresh air to rejuvenate and nourish the fabric fibres of your garments. It's basically like "freshening them up". When using these types of garment bags, NO fresh air can comfortably circulate in and around your garments and wardrobe, particularly in cramped spaces, or spaces that lack fresh airflow.
These types of garment bags are ineffective and can impair, ruin and deteriorate your garments when stored for long periods.
Plastic Dry Cleaning Bags are also a No-No!
Dry cleaning plastic bags should NEVER be used to store your wears. These bags are not purposed for storage or for protecting your garments long term. The only purpose of these bags is to transport your dry cleaned clothes from the shop to your home safely. That is it.
If you are using these bags to "protect" your garments, be aware that garment discolouration and yellowing can be caused by BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene), a chemical anti-oxidant found in these plastic bags. BHT can also be found in food, cosmetics, jet fuel, as an additive to "preserve" a product or item - when, in fact, it can be detrimental in more ways than one.
Dry cleaning bags do not allow sufficient airflow to circulate in and around your garments. This can also lead to staining, mildew growth, weakening of the fibres and yellow spots can also form (especially when exposed to excessive sunlight). These types of bags can also cause further fading and discolouration to your treasured garments.
(I recommend you check your wardrobe to see if you have "unknowingly" stored your garments' in these bags. Then kindly remove (your choice), and dispose of thoughtfully.)
Instead, by storing your garments in a natural fibre such as 100% cotton garment covers, it is guaranteed to safeguard your garments and promote their longevity, particularly for long term storage (more on this below.)
Avoid Pesky Insects and Moth Damage
FACT: Moths and especially their larvae and other insects feed off food crumbs, make-up, deodorant, perfumes and hair left on your garments. Make sure you remove these contaminants from your coats, jackets, suits, dresses etc. before long term storage.
A wash down, dry cleaning, airing them out will work. Just make sure you follow the care instructions which you'll find on the inside of your garment to provide the best care for your cherished garments.
Keep in mind, insects (especially in the warmer climates) tend to make a bee-line for your favourite suits, dresses or garments and 'go to town' on them causing unwanted damage. Have you experienced this? I sure did. This was the damage caused by moth larvae to my favourite grey pant-suit when it was not protected in my wardrobe! See picture below.
THIS IS WHAT WORKS
100% Cotton | Biodegradable Fabric
Cotton is a sustainable, renewable and biodegradable fabric. It is good to know that cotton takes up to 3 - 6 months to breakdown, whereas other materials and fabrics, particularly plastic garment bags, can take up to 20 - 200 years, if at all, to breakdown.
WHY COTTON GARMENT BAGS ARE YOUR BEST OPTION FOR GARMENT CARE AND LONGEVITY
Kazzi Kovers Premium Garment Bags are crafted from 100% Cotton. Cotton is the best natural, safest, eco-friendly alternative to cheap non-woven, plastic, peva, nylon or polyester garment bags.
- Cotton is a versatile and natural fabric. It is lightweight, breathable, hygienic, acid-free, plastic-free and incredibly durable and strong.
- Cotton is also a low maintenance material, which makes it easy to wash, and it is reasonably quick to dry.
- Cotton also reflects heat in the warmer climates and provides insulation in cold climates - so cotton garment covers are perfect for short and long term storage and will protect your clothing throughout the seasons.
Each Kazzi Kovers Garment Bag is custom made and designed to store and protect your every day, occasional, seasonal garments and delicate pieces; including your suits, dresses, jackets, coats, formal attire, heirlooms, sporting gear and more.
They are especially nurturing towards natural fabrics such as wool, leather, suedes, furs, cotton, silk, lace, embellished and other delicate fabrics while maintaining fabric integrity.
Kazzi Kovers garment bags are also guaranteed to safeguard and promote the longevity of your garments' and provide protection from the elements, all year round (love that!).
You'll also find comfort in knowing that each garment bag is fully-enclosed. That is, once you fully-zip your Kazzi Kovers garment bag, it makes it virtually impossible for dust and dirt to enter, and it also creates a natural barrier for those nasty insects (especially moths) from piercing your garments.
Streamline Your Wardrobe
By streamlining your wardrobe and placing all of your seasonal and occasional garments including your suits, dresses, leather jackets, wool coats, one-off pieces and other favoured garments in 100% Cotton Garment Bags, it is proven to be the safest and most sustainable, eco-friendly option. Doing so also promotes garment longevity, continued wearability and reduces your environmental footprint.
Whether you're someone that likes to take care of your beautiful wardrobe and your treasured pieces, or a business person, a traveller, a sportsperson or a bride-to-be, make sure you continue to preserve and enjoy the items you love.
Kazzi Kovers Garment Bag | Features
- These stylish and practical garment bags make wardrobe organisation simple and easy
- Suitable for Ladies and Gents
- Each cream-coloured garment bag is available in two generous sizes - Regular and Large and in Combo Packs
- Each garment bag is equipped with a full-length, side-zipper for quick and easy access
- A double-stitched, strong cotton loop is sewn in at the bottom for your convenience, so it's simple for you to fold the bag over when travelling
- Great for business, well-seasoned and occasional travellers
- Ideal for storage, home and travel purposes.
They're just perfect (even if we do say so ourselves!)
TIP: Every 6 to 12 months take out your garments; suits, dresses, coats and jackets etc. and air them out in the fresh air (away from direct sunlight) for 1 to 2 days - especially if you don't wear them all that often. They will love you for it! This extra care will prolong the integrity of the fabric and the fibres so you can enjoy wearing them for years to come.
Kazzi Kovers Garment Bags | Ideal For
- Storage and Travel | For all types of fabrics and garments including suits, coats, gowns, dresses, jackets, embellished and delicate pieces.
- Business Travel | For suits, dresses, coats, jackets, ties.
- Bride/Groom | Wedding dress, bridesmaid dress, mother-of-the-bride, men's suits.
- Destination Wedding | Travel with your wedding dress on the big day. Ideal for bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dress, Mother-of-the-Bride. (After your big day, you can store your dress in the Kazzi Kovers Garment Bag to preserve its longevity/heirloom.)
- Delicate and Embellished Garments: Dresses, costumes, heirlooms, one-off pieces, kaftans, saris + more.
- Fashion Events | For designers, models and garment protection during transit.
- Dance | Dance costumes, sequined dresses, leotards, tutus, outfits.
- Vintage Clothes | Protect your priceless vintage pieces; dresses, coats, jackets, fabrics.
- Equestrian and Sporting Attire | For all events. Also, for home and storage purposes.
- Cruises and Black Tie Events - Pack and protect your gowns or suits when travelling.
- and more.
Thanks for reading.
Remember if you ‘Love it, Cover it!®.’
Maria Kazzi | Kazzi Kovers
SHOP NOW | GARMENT BAGS
Regular | Large | Combo Packs
REGULAR GARMENT BAGS
SIZE: 110 cm (H) x 65cm (L) x 10 cm (W)
- Jackets | Coats | 3/4 Length Coats
- Dresses | Cocktail | Formal Dresses
- Embellished | Beaded Garments
- Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, lace, suede, fur, velvet)
- Seasonal Garments
- Saris | Kaftans
- All Types of Costumes
- Vintage Clothing | Uniforms
- Heirlooms and more.
LARGE (or long) GARMENT BAGS
- Long Coats
- Wedding Dress Formal
- Cocktail Dresses | Gowns
- Embellished and Beaded Garments
- Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, suede, furs, faux-furs, velvet)
- Seasonal Garments
- Saris | Kaftans
- All Types of Costumes
- Vintage Clothing | Uniforms
- Heirlooms and more.
COMBO GARMENT BAGS
REGULAR SIZE: 110 cm (H) x 65cm (L) x 10 cm (W)
LARGE SIZE: 165 cm (H) x 65cm (L) x 10 cm (W)
These combo packs offer great value and include a Regular and or Large Garment Bag combinations.
Perfect for when you need more than just one.
PACKAGE OFFER | Save $2.95 - $4.95
If you have a one-off piece, a favourite suit or dress that you wish to protect, or perhaps an heirloom, our Kazzi Kovers all-in-one packages are ideal and offer great value.
Each package includes your choice of one 100% Cotton Garment Bag (Regular or Large), and one FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hanger.
Ideal for your occasional, seasonal and one-off pieces such as your suits, dresses, formal and cocktail wear, wedding dress, coats, jackets, costumes, sporting attire, heirlooms and more.
Wood Hangers are available in Natural Wood Grain or Walnut colours.
Choose your HANGER | Choose your GARMENT BAG
Kazzi Kovers takes pride in providing safe and natural alternatives to Protect, Organise, Store and Travel with our range of premium covers and accessories.
See Kazzi Kovers for our full suite of products, tips and updates.
You Might Like These
FSC® Certified Cedar Wood Blocks | Rings
FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hanger Packs
Kazzi Kovers Packages