Spring Is Here! How to Protect and Store Your Winter Items
Most ladies and gents know that space is prime property in any wardrobe, closet or drawer. Right? With spring just around the corner, now is a great time to get organised and swap out your winter wardrobe and blankets and make room for your spring wardrobe.
We'll share with you practical and easy tips from choosing the right type of garment bags for storing your winter items (and the ones to avoid), to why proper air circulation is an important factor when it comes to promoting the longevity of your coats, jackets, suits, scarves, winter items and accessories until next season or perhaps your next snow trip!
Plastic and Non-Woven Garment Bags are a No-Go!
Plastic and non-woven garment bags, plastic storage boxes and even plastic vacuum bags can cause irreparable damage and gradual deterioration of your beloved pieces especially when storing your winter suits, coats, jackets, boots and other seasonal items for long periods of time.
Why? Because your garments simply cannot breath.
Plastic and non-woven fabric garment bags block that fresh air from comfortably circulating in and around your wardrobe.
They actually have the opposite affect to preserving your clothes and instead will cause discolouration, fading, fabric deterioration and structural damage to your winter garments, suits, coats and jackets especially when stored for extended periods.
Why Moths Favour Clothing
Moths (and mainly their larvae) are attracted to human scents, perfume, deodorant, smoke and food and they will relentlessly find a way to raid that fabulous suede jacket or wool coat or pant - when conditions are right.
Even if you only wear your garments a couple of times during the season, the residue from these elements still remains (if you don't wash your garment before long term storage, or you forget too!) and this can attract the moths especially in the warmer seasons - which can potentially cause irreparable damage.
Know this: When moths lay their eggs (the larvae), it is the larvae that eats through your winter woollies and causes the nasty holes, as it is the larvae that need to feed - to grow - to eventually develop into moths. Your clothing is their food source and nourishment for the larvae, not always the moths.
More alarming is the fact that insects favour plastic and non-woven garment bags as these types of garment bags have a tendency to deteriorate easily and crumble quicker over time - making it easier for the moths and silverfish to get to your winter woollies and other garments. Opportunistic little critters!
And once they've made their way through the garment cover... I can guarantee you they'll also love your wool suit! I know, because this is exactly what happened to my wool pant suit that I cherished. (See picture.) Has this also happened to you?
Sure, plastic garment bags and plastic storage boxes are easy to pack and are visibly appealing - especially the clear ones - but their long term affect can be costly, unfavourable and cause unnecessary damage to your favourite seasonal and winter garments.
Damage to your garments can also be attributed to the lack of fully-enclosed natural protection for your garments and zero to minimal natural air flow circulating in your wardrobe or closet.
QUICK TIPS: Air. Wash. Dry. Store your Winter Garments
Air out the garment once you've worn it.
Follow the care instructions on the item of clothing and wash accordingly.
Make sure you thoroughly dry out your coats, jackets, dresses and suits before storing them long term in 100% Cotton Garment Bags.
Store your winter wears in an area where air can naturally circulate in and around your garments and moisture is minimal to avoid mould build-up. If you don't have an open window, door, or ceiling fan in your wardrobe, room or closet - you can use an isolating fan to dry out any moisture and generate air flow. Think of it as fanning out your clothes.
You'll LOVE 100% Cotton Garment Bags
- These stylish and practical garment bags make wardrobe organisation simple and easy.
- Suitable for Ladies and Gents.
- Each cream-coloured garment bag fits up to 3 items and are available in two generous sizes - Regular and Large.
- Each garment bag is also equipped with a full-length, side-zipper for quick and easy access.
- A double-stitched, strong cotton loop is sewn in at the bottom for your convenience, so it's simple for you to fold the bag over when travelling.
- Great for business, well-seasoned and occasional travellers.
- Ideal for storage, home and travel purposes.
So if you're worried about those pesky insects, dust, mould and moisture affecting your winter apparel, then storing your beloved pieces and heirlooms in breathable garment bags is your safest option. Guaranteed.
They're just perfect (even if we do say so ourselves!)
QUICK TIP: Every 6-12 months take out your garments; coats, jackets, dresses etc and simply air them out in the fresh air for 1 to 2 days - especially if you don't wear them all too often. They'll love you for it! And it will prolong the integrity of the material fibres and your winter garments longevity.
Kazzi Kovers Garment Bags are Ideal for:
- Storage and or Travel | For all types of fabrics and garments including suits, coats, gowns, dresses, jackets, embellished and delicate pieces
- Business Travel | For suits, dresses, coats, jackets, ties
- Bride/Groom | Wedding dress, bridesmaid dress, groom, mens suits
- Destination Wedding | Travel with your wedding dress on the big day. Ideal for bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dress, Mother-of the-Bride. (After your big day, you can store your dress in the Kazzi Kovers Garment Bag to preserve its longevity / heirloom.)
- Delicate and Embellished Garments: Dresses, costumes, heirlooms, one-off pieces, kaftans, saris.
- Fashion Events | For designers, models and garment protection
- Dance | Dance costumes, sequined dresses, leotards, outfits
- Vintage Clothes | Provide protection for your priceless vintage pieces; dresses, coats, jackets, fabrics.
- Equestrian Jackets | for events to and from. Also, home and storage purposes
- Cruises and Black Tie Events - Pack and protect your gowns or suits when travelling
- and much more ..
SHOP NOW || Garment Bags | Individual and Combo Packs Available
INDIVIDUAL - REGULAR: Ideal for Suits, Jackets, Coats, Dresses, Cocktail / Formal Dresses, Embellished and Beaded Garments, Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, suede, fur, velvet), Seasonal Garments, Saris, Kaftans, All Types of Costumes, Vintage Clothing, Uniforms, Heirlooms and more.
INDIVIDUAL - LARGE: Ideal for Wedding Dress, Formal and Cocktail Dresses, Gowns, Embellished and Beaded Garments, Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, suede, furs, faux-furs, velvet), Long Coats, Seasonal Garments, Saris, Kaftans, All Types of Costumes, Vintage Clothing, Uniforms, Heirlooms and more..
These combo packs offer great value and include a Regular and or Large Garment Bag combinations. Perfect for when you need more than just one to suit your wardrobe requirements!
For example: 1 x Regular + 1 x Large Garment Bag Combo (displayed in photo).
6 Garment Bag Combo Options you can choose from ..
- 2 x Regular Garment Bags
- 3 x Regular Garment Bags
- 2 x Large Garment Bags
- 1 x Regular + 1 x Large Garment Bag
- 2 x Regular + 1 x Large Garment Bag
- 1 x Regular + 2 x Large Garment Bag
For FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hangers and Garment Bag - see Packages. This package includes a Garment Bag + Wood Hanger.
For FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hangers Packs - see Packs. These Packs only include wood hangers. (Available in Natural Wood Grain or Walnut.)
Now you've organised your winter jackets and coats, here are some great ideas for storing your scarves, beanies, gloves, hats and fascinators.
Scarf Storage: Rather than having your scarves hanging from the door or taking up valuable space in your wardrobe for the most part of the year, Kazzi Kovers | 100% Cotton Scarf Storage Bags are the perfect alternative to store your scarves until needed.
Clothing Care: Moths and other insects are attracted to human scents, deodorant, and food and can cause irreparable damage so it is imperative to wash your clothes (or dry clean if necessary) prior to storing your winter items and accessories for the long term.
- Travel: Eg. laptops, cords, clothes, shoes and more
- All types of clothes Eg: dress, pants, delicates, shirts, jumpers and more
- Lingerie (one for dirty, one for clean under garments)
- Hats | Fascinators
- Dance Wear
- Beach: Eg keys, sunglasses, spare clothes
- Yoga Wear
- Gym Wear
- Sports Wear
- Kids Items / Sports
- Winter Clothes, jumpers, sweaters
- Scarves | Gloves | Beanies
- And More.
We pride ourselves on providing safe and natural alternatives to Protect, Organise, Store and Travel with our range of premium covers and accessories. Visit Kazzi Kovers for our full suite of products and updates.