A suit is an investment, and you want it to look and feel good for a long time.
Whether you wear your suit once a week, several times a month or it is reserved for special occasions; suits that are properly cared for last longer.
Cleaning Your Suit
When it comes to cleaning your suit, ensure that you have invested in a quality clothes brush and steamer as these tools will protect fabric integrity and extend the longevity of your suits.
The brush is used to 'brush away' dirt, dust, lint, hair and any unseen particles from wearing your suit. To remove the debris, start at the shoulder and brush in a downward motion, gently and slowly. It should only take one to two minutes to complete. This helps remove the need for additional cleaning.
Your suits only need to be professionally cleaned when it is necessary and not every week. It is recommended that your suits only be cleaned once every six months or if you have deep stains or odours that are difficult to remove on your own. Even then, and before you do, try using a little water and a brush and gently remove the stain before visiting your local dry cleaner.
Bear in mind, the chemicals used in dry cleaning can be very harsh and can damage the fibres of your suit over time, as they can wear out and diminish the fabrics, especially for more delicate and finer fabrics like wool and suede. So it is best to dry clean your suits sparingly.
Pressing Your Suit
Pressing your suit is better than ironing your suit. A hot iron can burn the fibres and give your suit an unnatural shine. Use a steamer instead. If that doesn’t work, then and only then, take it to the dry cleaners to be pressed.
However, if you're travelling and must iron your suit or you are in a hurry to get to work, it is better to place a clean cotton cloth or an old cotton t-shirt between the suit and the iron rather than using the direct iron on the fabric, particularly when it comes to your wool suits. Press andAirin then lift the iron, rather than sliding it up and down for a more crisp finish.
TIP: You can place your suit near the bathroom. The steam from the shower will heal any wrinkles or creases and it can be a natural way to 'iron out' any folds.
Air Out Your Suits
Yes! Airing out your suits is an absolute must. It is advisable to rotate your suits, and not wear the same suit every day. Most suits are made from natural fibres, and those fibres need time to breathe, rest and recover.
Ideally, and immediately after wearing your suit, hang your suit on a contoured wooden Suit Hanger as this allows your suit to drape comfortably and lets your suit air out on a solid hanger while maintaining the shape and integrity of your suit.
It is also important to hang your suits in a space where airflow can comfortably circulate in and around your garments' to help nourish and rejuvenate the fabric fibres.
Invest in a Quality Wood Suit Hanger
A quality hanger is crucial when hanging your suits long term. Ensure that the shoulder and the arch of the suit hanger fully support the structure and shape of your suits and garments' to promote their longevity.
An excellent way to remember this is that you are essentially 'mimicking the shape of your shoulders' when it comes to investing in a quality wood hanger and hanging your suits correctly. A proper wood hanger will also contour and fit the shape of your suit as the edge of your hanger should hit the edge of your garment.
NEVER use wire hangers for weighted garments and more structured garments including your suits, dresses, jackets and coats. The structure of your attire can lose its shape, permanently disfigure the garment and jeopardise the fabric integrity, especially when stored for long periods. Also, wire hangers can tarnish and leave a permanent stain on your garments'.
Tip: Always have a wood hanger at the ready. Be it at home, in your walk-in-robe, the office or at a social event. NEVER hang your suit jacket or suit at the back of a chair as this will mar the shape of the jacket. If there is no other alternative, then fold it over the back of the chair or on a flat surface to minimise impairment.
Best Garment Bags for Suits
Your suit may have come with a plastic, non-woven or nylon bag. NEVER keep your suits stored in these types of bags for extended periods. They do more damage (sometimes irreparable) than good to your suits as these fabrics DO NOT breathe and can crumble and deteriorate over time.
Cotton garment bags, on the other hand, has many wonderful attributes. It is a low maintenance fabric which makes it easy to wash, and it is reasonably quick to dry. It is a natural, breathable, acid-free and strong fabric that will promote the longevity of your suits when properly cleaned, stored and cared for.
If dust, mould, moths and nasty closet insects are a problem with your suits, especially wool suits (I know because pesky moths ate through my black wool pant suit), then storing your beloved and seasonal pieces in 100% Cotton Garment Bags is your safest option.
Each cream-coloured garment bag is available in two generous sizes - Regular and Large. Each garment bag is also equipped with a full-length, side-zipper for easy access and a double-stitched, sturdy cotton loop is sewn in at the bottom so it's simple to fold the bag over when travelling, or you can hang them nicely anywhere for storage or home purposes.
Quick Tips On How to Store Your Suit
Whatever you do, do not store or place your suits in harmful plastic, non-woven, or nylon garment bags for extended periods, particularly in humid climates. These types of bags can be incredibly detrimental to the fabric integrity of your suit as they will potentially cause your suit to mould, discolour and develop mildew and yellow spots due to the non-breathable fabric over time.
For Suit Longevity
- Always air out your suit after you have worn it and wait a day or so before you store or put it in a 100% Cotton Garment Bag until next season.
- Cotton is the best garment bag for suits. Cotton is a natural fabric, breathable, acid-free and biodegrades in five or six months.
- Always hang your suit in an upright position to curb wrinkles and fabric damage.
- Avoid storing your suits in direct sunlight to prevent discolouration and fabric breakdown.
- Store your suit in a well-ventilated area where air can circulate in and around your suits, clothes, jackets and coats.
- Moths love light, so make sure you protect your garments by storing them in a dark place in your wardrobe, walk-in-robe or otherwise.
- Invest in a cotton garment bag to protect your suits against the elements including dust, insects, dirt, mould, mildew, sunlight and discolouration.
- Promote the longevity of your suits by storing them in Kazzi Kovers 100% cotton garment covers.
Well-made garments are meant to last, a little extra care and effort will ensure that your suit will last you for years to come.
Kazzi Kovers Garment Bags | Ideal For
- Storage and Travel | For all types of fabrics and garments including suits, coats, gowns, dresses, jackets, embellished and delicate pieces.
- Business Travel | For suits, dresses, coats, jackets, ties.
- Bride/Groom | Wedding dress, bridesmaid dress, mother-of-the-bride, men's suits.
- Destination Wedding | Travel with your wedding dress on the big day. Ideal for bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dress, Mother-of-the-Bride. (After your big day, you can store your dress in the Kazzi Kovers Garment Bag to preserve its longevity/heirloom.)
- Delicate and Embellished Garments: Dresses, costumes, heirlooms, one-off pieces, kaftans, saris + more.
- Fashion Events | For designers, models and garment protection during transit.
- Dance | Dance costumes, sequined dresses, leotards, tutus, outfits.
- Vintage Clothes | Protect your priceless vintage pieces; dresses, coats, jackets, fabrics.
- Equestrian and Sporting Attire | For all events. Also, for home and storage purposes.
- Cruises and Black Tie Events - Pack and protect your gowns or suits when travelling.
- And more.
Thanks for reading.
Remember if you ‘Love it, Cover it!®.’
Maria Kazzi | Kazzi Kovers
SHOP NOW | GARMENT BAGS
REGULAR GARMENT BAGS
SIZE: 110 cm (H) x 65cm (L) x 10 cm (W)
- Jackets | Coats | 3/4 Length Coats
- Dresses | Cocktail | Formal Dresses
- Embellished | Beaded Garments
- Delicate and Natural Fibres (leather, wool, silk, lace, suede, fur, velvet)
- Seasonal Garments
- Saris | Kaftans
- All Types of Costumes
- Vintage Clothing | Uniforms
- Heirlooms and more.
PACKAGE OFFER | Save $2.95 - $4.95
If you have a one-off piece, a favourite suit or dress that you wish to protect, or perhaps an heirloom, our Kazzi Kovers all-in-one packages are ideal and offer great value.
Each package includes your choice of one 100% Cotton Garment Bag (Regular or Large), and one FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hanger.
Ideal for your occasional, seasonal and one-off pieces such as your suits, dresses, formal and cocktail wear, wedding dress, coats, jackets, costumes, sporting attire, heirlooms and more.
Wood Hangers are available in Natural Wood Grain or Walnut colours.
Choose your HANGER | Choose your GARMENT BAG
You Might Like These
FSC® Certified Cedar Wood Blocks | Rings
FSC® Certified European German Beech Wood Hanger Packs
Kazzi Kovers Packages